Although excellent experimental technique and a broad chemical knowledge are crucial to a career in chemistry, there are additional skills that are needed in order to be truly successful. You must be able to plan your time efficiently, know how to prepare a résumé or curriculum vitae, have knowledge of areas outside of pure chemistry, understand the nature of jobs in chemical industry and academia, be able to express yourself clearly in both oral and written formats, etc. While these "extra" skills are often developed in graduate school, they are usually not taught in a systematic fashion.
In an effort to make sure that our graduates have a competitive edge when it comes to getting their first job and beyond, the Department is developing a formal Professional Development Curriculum. We are implementing a curriculum that systematically addresses the wide range of skills needed to be successful. The time commitment is modest and the program can be tailored to your individual needs.
- 2020-03-25. Pitt seeking Experienced Teaching Fellow for AY2021 (full stipend, benefits & tutition)
- 2020-05-20 SUNY-Buffalo, Chemistry Graduate Student Symposium (abstracts due 5-1-2020)
- 2020-03-02 STEM Summit 2020 - registration closes April 24, Event happens on May 6
- 2020-02-12 A&S GSO Elizabeth Baranger Teaching Awards (due 3/2) and Summer Research Grants (due3/31)
- 2020-02-03 All-CIRTL-Network Teaching-As-Research Presentations on 2 April 2020
- 2019-09-05 New Resources for Chemistry Educators
- Calendar Listing Professional Development Opportunities (opens in a new window; curated by the Pitt-CIRTL leaders)
- Graduate Student Teaching Initiative resources, events, programs
- Professional Development Opportunities at Pitt: Pitt-CIRTL's Happenings (updated weekly)
- Professional Development Opportunities at Pitt: UCT&L Newsletter (updated weekly)
- Professional Development Opportunities through the national CIRTL Network: Newsletter (updated bi-weekly)
- Pitt's Center for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Career Development: https://www.dpcd.pitt.edu/
- Opportunities offered through the Pittsburgh Section of the American Chemical Society
ACS-Pittsburgh web sitehttp://www.pittsburghacs.org/
Women's Chemistry Committee (events open to all)
- Professional Development Opportunities Beyond Pitt:
The PALM Network Grant (posted 2019-07-08): Deadlines of 7/30/2019 & 10/30/2019
- Pitt-CIRTL web site: Center For Integrating Research, Training, and Learning
- Pitt-CIRTL: 2 page flyer summarizing program (June 2015)
- Contact Joseph Grabowski (email@example.com; CSC-705) for more information about Chemistry & Professional Development opportunities.