- Complete online application (no cost).
- A statement of purpose that addresses your specific interests and/or expertise in chemistry, and describes as specifically as possible the area of research you wish to pursue.
- Transcripts for all college-level institutions attended. All (unofficial) transcripts must be uploaded onto the application Web site.
- Three letters of reference. (Use the forms on the application Web site. They should be uploaded to the site by the reference.)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores, general and chemistry subject, are recommended but not required.
- The application fee is waived for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. (In the online form, indicate that you will pay by check, but do not send a check)
All of the above plus:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores. The minimum TOEFL score of 100 (with at least a score of 22 in all of the four sections of speaking, listening, reading, and writing) or the required minimum IELTS of 7.0 (with at least 6.5 in each of its four sections).
- Application fee of $75 U.S.
Applicants are encouraged to submit completed applications as early as possible.
Application review will begin on December 15, 2019, and proceed on a rolling basis. Applications received after January 15th will not be considered.
For more information please contact:
Department of Chemistry
239 Chevron Science Center
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Online applications may be started for the Chemistry Department's Fall 2020 graduate class beginning October 1, 2019. All applicants will receive an e-mailed decision letter by February 1, 2020.