- Complete an online application for Fall 2022. Applications will open on October 22.
- A statement of purpose that addresses your specific interests and/or expertise in chemistry, and describes as specifically as possible the area of research you wish to pursue.
- Transcripts for all college-level institutions attended. All (unofficial) transcripts must be uploaded onto the application Web site.
- Three letters of reference. (Use the forms on the application Web site. They should be uploaded to the site by the reference.)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores, general and chemistry subject, are recommended but not required.
- Application fee of $75. To be considered for an application fee waiver, submit this survey for review. We encourage our applicants to submit the survey. More information can be found on the Graduate Studies site and through the application system.
- In an effort to reduce financial barriers to attending graduate school, the Kenneth P. Dietrich Graduate School of Arts and Sciences offers application fee waivers. Please note that fee waivers are approved on a case-by-case basis and not all fee waiver requests will be granted. All requests received will be reviewed and responded to within 48 hours during normal business hours: Monday - Friday 8:30a.m. to 5:00p.m. EST.
All of the above plus:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Duolingo English Test scores. The minimum TOEFL score of 100 (with at least a score of 22 in all of the four sections of speaking, listening, reading, and writing), the required minimum IELTS of 7.0 (with at least 6.5 in each of its four sections), or the required minimum Duolingo score of 110 (preferred score 120 or higher). Please submit your scores officially in order for them to be considered received.
- TOEFL scores will need to be sent directly to the university. A PDF copy of the score report can be uploaded to your application under "Additional Information" as an unofficial copy until your official scores are received.
- IELTS report will need to be sent directly to the university. A PDF copy of the score report can be uploaded to your application under "Additional Information" as an unofficial copy until your official scores are received.
- Duolingo scores must be shared by uploading a PDF copy of the score report to your application under "Additional Information" or reach out to GradCAS to have them attached to your application.
If you are having issues with any part of your on-line application for the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, please reach out to the GradCas Applicant Help center: https://help.liaisonedu.com/GradCAS_Applicant_Help_Center. If you cannot find the answer to your question(s), you can also contact them by phone 857-304-2086 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For the quickest response, it is best to contact them via the Live Chat option on the Applicant Help center page.
Applicants are encouraged to submit completed applications as early as possible.
Application review will begin on December 15, 2021, and proceed on a rolling basis. Applications received after January 15th will not be considered.
For more information please contact:
Department of Chemistry
236 Chevron Science Center
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Online applications may be started for the Chemistry Department's Fall 2022 graduate class beginning October 22, 2021. All applicants will receive an e-mailed decision letter by February 1, 2022.