Although excellent experimental technique and a broad chemical knowledge are crucial to a career in chemistry, there are additional skills that are needed in order to be truly successful. You must be able to plan your time efficiently, know how to prepare a résumé or curriculum vitae, have knowledge of areas outside of pure chemistry, understand the nature of jobs in chemical industry and academia, be able to express yourself clearly in both oral and written formats, etc. While these "extra" skills are often developed in graduate school, they are usually not taught in a systematic fashion.
In an effort to make sure that our graduates have a competitive edge when it comes to getting their first job and beyond, the Department is developing a formal Professional Development Curriculum. We are implementing a curriculum that systematically addresses the wide range of skills needed to be successful. The time commitment is modest and the program can be tailored to your individual needs.
- Professional Development Opportunities at Pitt: Pitt-CIRTL's Happenings Newsletters (updated several times a month; last six displayed)
2021-06-14 2021-06-01 2021-05-17 2021-04-26 2021-04-19 2021-04-12
- Professional Development Opportunities at Pitt: UCT&L Newsletters (updated several times a month; last six displayed):
2021-06-11 2021-06-04 2012-05-28 2021-05-21 2021-05-14 2021-05-07
- Professional Development Opportunities through the national CIRTL Network: Newsletters (updated periodically; last six displayed)
2021-03-02 2021-02-15 2021-02-01 2021-01-25 2021-01-11 2020-12-15
- 2021-06-09 ACCelerate Smithsonian Creativity and Innovation Festival 8-10 April 2022 (Pitt app deadline 7/12/21).
- 2021-06-01 Inclusive STEM Teaching, 6 week (2-3 hrs/week effort), free, begins 6/15/21..
- 2021-04-14, Searchable database of postdoctoral funding opportunities https://pathwaystoscience.org/Postdocs_Portal.aspx
- 2021-02-05 3-Part Workshop: Entering Research: Developing Effective Mentee Skills in STEM (2/17, 2/24, 3/3)
- 2020-12-07, Grad Expo, 19 March 2021 (abstracts due 8 Feb 2021)
- 2020-07-13, New Teaching Assistant Orientation and Graduate Student Teaching Initiative Plans for AY2020-21
- 2020-05-15 Campus Chapter of the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), 15 May 2020
- Collected Wisdom: Strategies & Resources from TAs for TAs (web published, 2007, CMUI)
- 2019-09-05 New Resources for Chemistry Educators
- Calendar Listing Professional Development Opportunities (opens in a new window; curated by the Pitt-CIRTL leaders)
- Graduate Student Teaching Initiative resources, events, programs
- Pitt's Center for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Career Development: https://www.dpcd.pitt.edu/
- Opportunities offered through the Pittsburgh Section of the American Chemical Society
ACS-Pittsburgh web sitehttp://www.pittsburghacs.org/
Women's Chemistry Committee (events open to all)
- Professional Development Opportunities Beyond Pitt:
The PALM Network Grant
- Pitt-CIRTL web site: Center For Integrating Research, Training, and Learning
- Pitt-CIRTL: 2 page flyer summarizing program (June 2015)
- Contact Joseph Grabowski (email@example.com; CSC-705) for more information about Chemistry & Professional Development opportunities.
Throughout the year, there are occasional opportunities for STEM professionals (including undergraduates, gradudate students, staff, and faculty) to support the local community in various ways. Such opportunities are posted here.so check back periodically.
- Share Your Love of Science with Elementary School Students During Carnegie Science Center's STEM Adventure Program this March 15-19! (2/10/2021)
- ISEF is in search of judges for early May. Info is available here. (2021-02-10)
- PJAS is in search of judges for the Region 7 Competition (Virtual). Info is available here (2021-01-14; Judges registration is open until 5 Feb 21).
- Join Carnegie Science Center as an Affiliated Sponsor Award Judge During the Pittsburgh Regional Science & Engineering Fair (March 24)! (1/13/2021; details here)
- Judges needed for the virtual Pittsburgh Regional Science and Engineering Fair of 24 March 2021 (12/1/2020; details here).