Although excellent experimental technique and a broad chemical knowledge are crucial to a career in chemistry, there are additional skills that are needed in order to be truly successful. You must be able to plan your time efficiently, know how to prepare a résumé or curriculum vitae, have knowledge of areas outside of pure chemistry, understand the nature of jobs in chemical industry and academia, be able to express yourself clearly in both oral and written formats, etc. While these "extra" skills are often developed in graduate school, they are usually not taught in a systematic fashion.
In an effort to make sure that our graduates have a competitive edge when it comes to getting their first job and beyond, the Department encourages all graduates to take advantage of the variety of Professional Development opportunities offered across many units of the University.
- Chem 0100, "Introduction to General Chemistry" is a non-lab, 3-cr course taught each fall and spring term, and beginning with the spring term 2022, is open to well-prepared, upper-level graduate students to teach. Assignment as the lecturer for Chem 0100 is equivalent to a full-time TF appointment. This is particularly an excellent opportunity for anyone considering an academic career. If such a mentored, lecture opportunity appeals to you, take advantage of the Professional Development opportunities to establish your qualification, look for calls about March (for the fall term) and October (for the spring term). You are also welcome to make your interest known to the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- Professional Development Opportunities at Pitt: Pitt-CIRTL's Happenings Newsletters (updated several times a month; last six displayed)
2022-09-27 2022-09-19 2022-09-13 2022-09-06 2022-08-29 2022-08-14
- Professional Development Opportunities at Pitt: UCT&L Newsletters (updated several times a month; last six displayed):
2022-09-23 2022-09-16 2022-09-02 2022-08-26 2022-08-19 2022-08-12
- 2022-09-07 ACS CHAS Empowering Academic Researchers to Strengthen Safety Culture Workshop (Zoom, 2:00-5:30pm, 10/9/22)
- 2022-09-06 LabArchives will be offering an online session specific to Pitt on September 21. It will focus on the research edition (notebook, inventory, and scheduler) and its use in managing research data, physical inventory for a lab, and lab resources and equipment. The session is being hosted by the Health Sciences Library System, but anyone from Pitt can attend. If you’re interested, please use the link below to register.
LabArchives for Pitt Researchers – Research Edition Notebook, Inventory, and Scheduler
Date: September 21, 2022 Time: 10 – 11 am
Format: Online – synchronous
- 2022-08-18 dB-SERC's Departmental New TA Workshop on 8/2/22, 10:00am-11:30am
- 2022-08-19 University-wide Graduate & Professional Student Orientation, Tuesday 23 August 2022
- 2022-08-01 For TAs and TFs, as well as graduate students interested in pedagogical professional development
- 2022-07-06 New Teaching Assistant Orientation and Graduate Student Teaching Initiative Plans for AY2022-2023
- 2022-06-07 Virtual Classroom: The Higher Education Landscape
Discover the pros and cons of a career in academia at the next ACS Virtual Classroom, "The Higher Education Landscape," on Wednesday, June 15, 12:00-1:30 PM ET. Learn about trends in higher education, the different varieties of higher-education institutions, and the types of positions available. Register here.
- 2022-06-01 Achievement in Pedagogy Credential: Graduate/Professional Students
- 2022-05-31 Pitt renews it's Institutional Membership in CUR (Council on Undergraduate Research) through 6/30/23
Join for free -- check out their Job Board especially if interested in jobs focussed on Teaching.
- 2022-05-20 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Help Workshop, begins June 9 2022
- 2022-04-15 Fellowship Opportunity: Experienced Graduate Student Teaching Fellow
- 2022-04-14 Summer Internship in Higher Ed for PhDs - due April 22
- 2022-04-13 GGS - Guiding Graduate Students - ADSE@Pitt event, 11am EH-307 or via Zoom
- 2022-03-10 Open Education Resources; Webinars March 14 thru March 17, 2022
- 2022-02-28 Applications for the "David Pratt Award" due by 3/31 (Graduate student-undergraduate teams...)
- 2022-01-24 PhDuh Informal Talk Series ‐ Feb 04th 2022 (Friday)
- Workshops from the ULS' Digital Scholarship Services group (updated 2021-09-30)
- ETD Workshop (Online) 2021-10-23, 10am
- Copyright for Scholarly Authors 2021-10-20, 11 am
- ETD Workshop (Online) 2021-10-11, 10am
- Copyright and Your Thesis or Dissertation Hillman Library 2021-10-07, 11am
- ETD Workshop Hillman Library 2021-10-07, 10am
- Intro to Git/GitHub Part I (2021-09-30) and Part II (2021-10-07)
- Intro to R Part I (2021-10-19) and Part II (2021-10-26)
- Code Testing for Replicable Research (2021-10-28)
- Querying Databases with SQL (2021-11-02)
- For those interested in Geographic Information Systems (GIS): Intro to ArcGIS Part I (2121-09-17) and Part II (2021-09-24); QGIS (2021-10-06)
- Information sessions about Data Sharing and Writing Data Management Plans for Grant Proposals (multiple dates)
- 2021-09-29 ACS-Pittsburgh Section Conference Grant for Graduate and Undergraduate Students
- 2021-09-25 ACS Conference Grant for Graduate Student Presenters
- 2021-08-10 Office of the Provost Fall 2021 Professional Development Opportunities for Advising, Mentoring and Student Success
- 2021-08-09 8/25 dB-SERC Faculty Workshop (RSVP by 8/23)
- 2021-06-09 ACCelerate Smithsonian Creativity and Innovation Festival 8-10 April 2022 (Pitt app deadline 7/12/21).
- 2021-06-01 Inclusive STEM Teaching, 6 week (2-3 hrs/week effort), free, begins 6/15/21..
- 2021-04-14, Searchable database of postdoctoral funding opportunities https://pathwaystoscience.org/Postdocs_Portal.aspx
- 2021-02-05 3-Part Workshop: Entering Research: Developing Effective Mentee Skills in STEM (2/17, 2/24, 3/3)
- 2020-12-07, Grad Expo, 19 March 2021 (abstracts due 8 Feb 2021)
- 2020-07-13, New Teaching Assistant Orientation and Graduate Student Teaching Initiative Plans for AY2020-21
- 2020-05-15 Campus Chapter of the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), 15 May 2020
- Collected Wisdom: Strategies & Resources from TAs for TAs (web published, 2007, CMUI)
- 2019-09-05 New Resources for Chemistry Educators
- Calendar Listing Professional Development Opportunities (opens in a new window; curated by the Pitt-CIRTL leaders)
- Graduate Student Teaching Initiative resources, events, programs
- Pitt's Center for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Career Development: https://www.dpcd.pitt.edu/
- Opportunities offered through the Pittsburgh Section of the American Chemical Society
ACS-Pittsburgh web sitehttp://www.pittsburghacs.org/
Women's Chemistry Committee (events open to all)
- Professional Development Opportunities Beyond Pitt:
The PALM Network Grant
- Pitt-CIRTL web site: Center For Integrating Research, Training, and Learning
- Pitt-CIRTL: 2 page flyer summarizing program (June 2015)
- Contact Joseph Grabowski (email@example.com; CSC-705) for more information about Chemistry & Professional Development opportunities.
Throughout the year, there are occasional opportunities for STEM professionals (including undergraduates, graduate students, staff, and faculty) to support the local community in various ways. Such opportunities are posted here as received, so check back periodically.
- Get Ready for SciTech Days at Carnegie Science Center!, 1/21/22 thru 519/23 (call posted 8/17/22)
- Join Carnegie Science Center as an Affiliated Sponsor Award Judge During the 83rd Pittsburgh Regional Science & Engineering Fair (March 22-23)! (Register by 2/28/22) 1/12/22
- Calling All Chemists! This is Your FINAL Opportunity to Join Carnegie Science Center for ChemFest this October! 9/27/21
- Volunteers Needed for National Chemistry Week on 10/21-10/22 posted 8/26/21
- Share Your Expertise With 6-12th Grade Students During Carnegie Science Center's Brand New Hybrid SciTech Days! 8/9/21
- National Chemistry Week, 21-22 October 2021, Carnegie Science Center: Call for STEM Professionals, 8/2/2021
- Letters to a Pre-scientist: outreach opportunity (virtual, fun, low time commitment!) 7/21/2021
- Share Your Love of Science with Elementary School Students During Carnegie Science Center's STEM Adventure Program this March 15-19! (2/10/2021)
- ISEF is in search of judges for early May. Info is available here. (2021-02-10)
- PJAS is in search of judges for the Region 7 Competition (Virtual). Info is available here (2021-01-14; Judges registration is open until 5 Feb 21).
- Join Carnegie Science Center as an Affiliated Sponsor Award Judge During the Pittsburgh Regional Science & Engineering Fair (March 24)! (1/13/2021; details here)
- Judges needed for the virtual Pittsburgh Regional Science and Engineering Fair of 24 March 2021 (12/1/2020; details here).