Job Title: Surface Science / Contamination Researcher (MTS)
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
Effective contamination control is critical to space mission success. Understanding the underlying physical and chemical processes that contribute to spacecraft contamination plays a key role in developing mitigation strategies and enhancing space mission performance. The candidate will have continuous learning opportunities to collaborate with experts from a wide range of technical areas, such as material science, thermal, fluid mechanics, optics, and propulsion. In addition, the candidate will also have opportunities to be mentored by experienced staff members and gain insights into programmatic aspects in supporting US government space programs.
The candidate will perform applied research and customer program support in the area of contamination transport and space vehicle component surface degradation effects relevant to space programs. The candidate is expected to design and execute laboratory experiments, collect and analyze data, and present the scientific results in reports, conferences and journal publications. The scientist will participate in developing contamination transport simulation modeling capabilities. In addition, the candidate is expected to contribute to research proposals and to leverage his/her expertise to address contamination issues in support of various space system programs. The candidate will be expected to lead experimental investigations and play key leadership roles in program support relevant to spacecraft contamination issues. Job related travel is expected.
• Perform applied research and customer program support in the area of contamination transport and degradation effects relevant to space programs
• Design and execute laboratory experiments, collect and analyze data, and present the scientific results in reports, conferences and journal publications
• Participate in developing contamination transport simulation modeling capabilities
• Contribute to research proposals and to leverage his/her expertise to address contamination issues in support of various space system programs
• Develop the ability to lead experimental investigation and eventually to develop leadership roles in program support relevant to spacecraft contamination issues
• Bachelor's degree in physical sciences such as chemistry, physics or a closely related field. A PhD in physical sciences is preferred.
• Two or more years of relevant experience including professional or post-graduate research
• Hands-on laboratory experience in surface sciences. Experiences with ultra-high vacuum systems and/or applied spectroscopy are highly desirable
• Expertise in analytical modeling and computer programming (e.g., Python/Mablab)
• Experience shall include designing and conducting unique experimental studies, performing data analysis, and presenting scientific results at symposia and in peer-reviewed publications
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with other members of the laboratory in a team environment
• The ability to obtain and maintain security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
• Future development of the abilities to lead experimental investigations and to assume leadership roles in program support relevant to spacecraft contamination issues
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Please contact De-Ling Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit application at https://careers.aerospace.org/job/El-Segundo-Surface-Science-Contamination-Researcher-CA-90245/465610300/