The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Eastern Regional Research Center (ERRC) in Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania seeks a POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, GS-11 ($70,275.00 to $91,363.00 annually commensurate with experience). This position is for a competitive NIFA-AFRI funded project with a designed start date of November 2021. The position is open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who meet the criteria outlined in 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)(B).
Recent Ph.D. in Synthetic Polymer Chemistry or a closely related field is required. The candidate is responsible for leading research projects to support the development of bio-based polymers with antimicrobial properties.
- Design and synthesize new bio-based polymers with antimicrobial properties
- Evaluate and characterize bio-based polymer performance and properties
- Emphasize on nanoscale phenomena such as bio-based polymer adhesion and other surface science phenomena
- Interact with the development team on structure, property, and modifications of bio-based polymer
- Maintain a safe work environment for self and others
- Ph.D. in chemistry or polymer science (preferably with at least 2 years of postdoctoral experience) in synthetic polymer development, structure-property relationships, polymer physics, characterization, mechanics of materials
- Knowledge of equipment and instruments of a polymer laboratory is required
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills – ability to be self-motivated and to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
The selectee is eligible for the following benefits: Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS), Federal Employee Group Life Insurance program (FEGLI), Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) program, and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).
Interested candidates should send their cover letters, resume/CV, and references to Dr. Helen Ngo via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
USDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider
Helen Ngo, PhD
Research Chemist/Lead Scientist
Eastern Regional Research Center
600 East Mermaid Lane
Wyndmoor, PA 19038