Sr. Staff/Principal I Analytical Chemist
Description of duties and responsibilities:
This position is a hands-on laboratory role and reports to the Manager, Materials Science and Chemical Research. His/her primary responsibilities include the establishment of test setups and operation of a broad range of instruments for the characterization of solid state compounds, and those in the gaseous/vapor states.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with cross-functional, new product development teams in characterizing compounds (e.g., thermoplastics, elastomers, organic coatings, metallic platings, etc.) to be used in Personal Protective Equipment and Gas Detection Devices. This will include, but is not limited to, instrumental techniques such as Fourier Transform Infrared spectrophotometry, gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, thermal gravimetric analysis, Dynamic Mechanical analysis and X-ray fluorescence.
- Establish unique, innovative test set-ups to assess the performance of prototype products under development.
- Collaborate with independent laboratory and university research centers, when necessary, in the appropriate supplemental surface analysis and morphological features of materials; e.g., Scanning and transmission electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, atomic force microscopy, etc.
- Stay apprised of developments associated with Instrumental Analysis techniques which will enhance the organization’s ability to effectively characterize substances.
- Maintain analytical instrumentation.
- Complete all activities in a timely manner.
- Maximum 10% domestic travel required.
Special knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Fundamental understanding of the principles and experience with instrumental analysis techniques such as FTIR, GC-MS, DSC, XRF, XRD, SEM-EDAX, and ASTM procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the chemical structure and morphological features of materials in their solid state.
- Awareness of contemporary quality measurement techniques, Design of Experiments and DFSS methods.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Education and experience required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Analytical Chemistry or relevant discipline
- This position is available at two different career levels based upon experience:
- Level one: 5 years of relevant technical experience
- Level two: 7 years of relevant technical experience
- MS degree may be substituted for up to 2 years of relevant experience. PhD may be substituted for up to 4 years of experience.
- 2 or more years of “hands-on” experience with the characterization/analysis of polymeric compounds.
- At least one article published in a peer-reviewed technical journal.
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering/Chemistry or Materials Science strongly preferred.
- Ph.D. highly recommended.
Resumes should be sent to:
Brian G. Opre
407.228.0116 - Phone